What's New in APSE
- Security bugfix: Prevent a malicious website from executing a DNS rebinding attack against APSE. All users are encouraged to upgrade as soon as possible.
- Bugfix: make sure the Apse window launches correctly on new systems.
- New feature: File import. You can now add images directly to the search index.
- New feature: Individually select monitors to capture. Instead of one or all, you can individually specify which screens are captured.
- New feature: Self-hosting. Business users can host Apse on any machine with internet access, meaning you can access it from your phone, tablet, other computers, etc.
- Performance enhancement: text recognition is now about 15% faster.
- Performance enhancement: improved speed searching, adding, and deleting snapshots on very large indexes.
- Performance enhancement: the Apse window launches sooner when starting up.
- Bugfix: fix a keyword highlighting bug in search results.
- Improvement: better layout on search results pages, especially on narrow screens.
This release also has a couple breaking changes:
- On startup, recording is now paused by default. Users can specify record-on-launch in their settings, or manually start recording.
- Images are now stored forever by default. The previous default value was one year. This value can be configured in settings as well.
When launching v3.0 for the first time, Apse will do a one-time upgrade of the index on your hard drive. This takes a little time, please be patient.
- Bugfix: make sure search term hits are highlighted correctly on the results page.
- New feature: An indicator with the number of images in the queue is now displayed.
- Bugfix: prevented an issue with the recording toggle updating correctly.
- Improvement: Apse is now recognized by Gatekeeper on MacOS.
- Improvement: Better error messages for troubleshooting (not that any errors were going to happen...)
- New feature: system tray and running in the background now supported on MacOS.
- Bugfix: Fixed an issue that prevented taking manual snapshots via the tray icon.
- Improvement: Show better error messages for malformed searches.
- New feature: thumbnails are shown on the search results page.
- New Feature: The Firefox extension notifies you when a snapshot failed, rather than leaving you hanging. (You probably need to start APSE.)
- Improvement: Form submission UI is more difficult to mis-click.
- Bugfix: prevented a couple instances where Apse could fail to start correctly.
- Improvement: made the UI more clear about expired and invalid license keys.
- New Feature: Quick search. Now you can search from any screen in the app.
- New Feature: Configure whether APSE starts auto-recording when you launch it, or waits until you tell it to.
- Improvement: A handful of user interface improvements. The paused/recording indicator is clearer now. Stealth-camouflage markers are less obtrusive.
- Bugfix: prevent a case when APSE could freeze if it was unable to verify the activation key
- New Feature: Recent search history. Your recent searches are remembered, so you can easily go back and forth between searches.
- Improvement: added easier navigation links to previous/next snapshots
- Bugfix: Apse recognizes when monitors are connected or disconnected while it is running.
- Bugfix: pausing and unpausing after Apse has been running a very long time don't require a page reload
- New Feature: When you manually take a snapshot with the Firefox extension, the button notifies you when it was successful!
- Bugfix: Prevent external applications from triggering manual snapshots.
- Bugfix: Fix a bug preventing the app from launching on Solus Linux.
- Bugfix: Prevent an invalid config value from stopping screenshots being taken.
- Improvement: OCR is about 50% faster! You can take snapshots more often, or at the same frequency and see much lower CPU usage.
- Improvement: dramatically better layout detection. Text in multiple windows or columns is grouped much more intelligently.
- New feature: visual indicator that Apse is working on long-running searches. Very useful.
- Improvement: UI for manual snapshots and expired license error messages are clearer.
- Breaking change: OSX Mavericks is no longer supported. Apple users please upgrade to at least Yosemite.
- Bugfix: fix an issue where deleting the latest snapshot could prevent new ones from being added.
- Bugfix: Snapshots containing HTML code are rendered properly.
- Bugfix: Prevent a circumstance where a manual snapshot could be accidentally triggered.
- Bugfix: On Windows, the Apse icon won't be un-pinned from your taskbar when upgrading to a new version.
- New Feature: Advanced Search! AND and OR and NOT to your heart's desire. Date ranges supported too!
- Improvement: Many UI improvements and clarifications
- Bugfix: Fixed copy/paste on Mac OS
- New feature: Live config updates - you can update your Apse config without restarting the app!
- Improvement: Faster shutdown times
- Improvement: Better indication of how results are sorted
- Improvement: Better indication of whether auto-snapshots are paused
- Bugfix: Fixed potential issue on Mac that could prevent text extraction
- Bugfix: Correct an issue blocking batch deletion.
- Bugfix: Correct an issue with Apse launching on Mac OS.
- Bugfix: Prevent Apse from exiting before all manual snapshots are processed.
- New Feature: Added ability to take manual snapshots from system tray
- Bugfix: Prevent cases where system tray icon could disappear
- New Feature: Added ability to sort results by date
- New Feature: Added welcome screen for first time starting Apse
- New Feature: Firefox extension for taking manual snapshots directly from your browser. Get the extension here.
- Improvement: Better navigation and ability to reload pages
- New Feature: Take Snapshot Now - you can manually trigger a snapshot at any time from the Apse window.
- Improvement: Smart image processing to handle dark backgrounds. Vastly improves accuracy.
- Improvement: Pause/Unpause buttons and status have been clarified
- New Feature:
SkynetApse gains self-awareness. Apse can recognize itself in screenshots, so your search index doesn't get polluted with text from the Apse window.
- Improvement: Prevent page layout from hiding some information on result pages.
- Bugfix: Prevent deleted snapshots from breaking links in next/previous snapshot.
- Initial release of Apse!
Sound good? You can get Apse now: